PCSing Pets: Register your pet, it’s the law

Hey Schweinfurt, this is CPT Andrew Schrader, your OIC at the Schweinfurt Veterinary Treatment Facility. As we all prepare to PCS out of Schweinfurt, I want to ensureVTF_OIC_Schrader you safely and legally travel with your pet.

Many Soldiers and their families have pets while living in Germany. Did you know that the Status of Forces Agreement requires that ALL pets MUST be registered at the local garrison Veterinary Treatment Facility (VTF)? It’s true. It is the law and the penalty enforced by the local German State Veterinarian can be expensive.

Registering your pet is free, only takes a few minutes, and does not obligate you to use the VTF when your pet is sick or in need of vaccinations/health certificates.

If you think you’ll get in trouble for bringing in a pet long after it’s been a part of your family, don’t worry. What’s important here is that we register your furry family member prior to your PCS. We want to ensure your pet arrives at your next duty station safely and legally.

The VTF is here to answer any questions that you might have regarding your pet’s health and about owning pets while stationed in Germany. Call us at DSN 353-8359, CIV 09721-96-8359.

And be sure to check out Michele’s blog “PCSing with Pets” for more great information on the topic.


One thought on “PCSing Pets: Register your pet, it’s the law

  1. Pingback: No pet left behind: how we’re preventing pet abandonment | Closure 2014 Blog

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s