Leaving Schweinfurt: All you need to know about what to do with your vehicle

image by emilio labrador | creative commons

image by emilio labrador | creative commons

Schweinfurt is a great duty station, but your time here is nearing its end. Germany has been great — a place to let the horses run wild on the autobahn. But now what? What do you do with that piece of metal when you move out of Schweinfurt? Let this be your one-stop source for information on your options and resources offered on-post.


Recently Capt. Sarah Smith, the USAG Schweinfurt Provost Marshall, laid out the details on what you need to do with your POV when you PCS. This takes you through what documents you need to obtain, who you need to talk to and how the process works to either sell or ship your vehicle. It also provides you with information on what you need to do to scrap your vehicle if you want to get rid of it.

ridrideiconRID my RIDE

MWR is now allowing you to turn in your vehicle for FREE to the Auto Skills strip lot. To make it easy for you, and to prevent vehicle abandonment, they are waiving a fee that would normally set you back 65 bucks. This offer is good from now until the closure of the garrison. To get in on this deal, bring your car registration or title and your PCS/ETS orders to the Auto Skills Center on Conn Barracks, Bldg. 49. They will hook you up with the documentation you need to clear your POV from registration. Details…

car-sale-iconFOR SALE BY OWNER

If you decide that you want to sell your vehicle, you may ask yourself, “How do I find a buyer?”

No worries — there are community generated Facebook pages dedicated to yard sales where used cars may be listed for sale. For our area, try looking into the Schweinfurts Internet Yard Sale page or Schweinfurt Facebook Yard Sales.

LEMON LOT — Open for business

For those who can’t make it to the car sale extravaganza, there is another option: the DES lemon lot. It is located across from The Commons, Bldg. 224 on Ledward Barracks. In order to sell your car in the lemon lot all you need to do is go by the MP Station, fill out a basic information form and the MP will provide you with a POV resale Lot permit that is to be displayed in your car. It is that simple. Then you can leave your car there for 30 days (an extension can be granted for an additional 30 days if the USAREUR vehicle registration remains valid). All ID cardholders can utilize this service.

So there you have it. All the information you need to make a decision on what you will do with your vehicle when you PCS.


2 thoughts on “Leaving Schweinfurt: All you need to know about what to do with your vehicle

  1. Pingback: How to host your own yard sale | Closure 2014 Blog

  2. Im here til the end. Cant afford to buy a car, especially not one that I wont be taking with me when I leave in a year. So, if you have one that you need to get rid of that passes inspection and you are feeling generous and want to give it to someone in need 😉 please keep me in mind!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s